pretty sights and delicious cake
Before my plane even landed on the tarmac of the tiny Salzburg airport, I knew I wasn't in London anymore. From a distance all I could see was a group of gigantic mountains with a thick layer of snow dripping from the peaks. Yes, I was in Austria!
After a rendezvous with Tuscany's family, we took a drive to downtown Salzburg where we had Sunday service at the beautiful Salzburg Cathedral. The service wasn't even in English, and we had to pretend to know the melody to some German hymns, trying our best not to laugh. I gave up trying to understand anything, and focused my attention on the intricate interior of the church, looking up then down, then left and right. The high ceilings were decorated with baroque style, complete with domes that let the sunlight in, reflecting on complicated paintings surrounding the whole church. After lighting the candles (still don't know what this is actually meant to be for, by the way), we walked to find some of those legendary schnitzels. We saw lots of Sound of Music-esque sights here and there. Along the way we saw a lot of pretty things, including this graveyard that is basically too beautiful to be one. "This is the perfect date location. So romantic," Tuscany said, even after knowing she was in a cemetery.
We continued exploring the city, finding a love lock bridge like the one they have in Paris, and a pretty palace soon after that. After spending the day in Salzburg, we drove back to Lake Mondsee where Tuscany's aunt lives. I never thought I could end up in a place so close to nature, this I realized during a two hour hike up and down the hills. We actually took a hike into the snowy forest, which looked like it was pretty much taken straight out of a Twilight movie.
The next day Tuscany and I decided to go to Vienna for a day trip. It was the 31st of December 2012, and what better way to spend the last day of the year than to roam around a city you've never been before with your best friend? After a power nap on the train, we find ourselves in Vienna with a list of things to see and places to visit. We went to the Schonnbrunn palace, but actually spent more time exploring the Christmas markets in front, and binging on cake as if they were going to go extinct come 2013. Then we took the metro to St. Stephen's Cathedral, the most gorgeous church in the world! We ended the day here, watching hundreds of people dance to celebrate the soon-to-be new year.
After a day of non-stop food, non-stop laughter, and non-stop shopping, Tuscany and I missed the train back to Salzburg (if you knew us in person, you wouldn't be surprised...) and after panicking like two desperate lost Asian girls in the station, we decided to buy a new ticket to get on the next train. After waiting an hour, we hopped on the train and was surprised to see how cool the interior was- the train had individual rooms, like the one Harry Potter takes to Hogwarts, only cooler. Because it was getting near to the countdown, the train was extremely empty. We thought we had the whole place to ourselves. Little did we know, about 20 Taylor Swift songs later, 3 drunk German dudes waltzed in our carriage and thought it would be a good idea to have an orgy right then and there. Our faces immediately turned pale, and I couldn't think of anything but to look down and PRAY that they would leave...which they did, eventually (it felt like the longest 5 minutes of my life though). Most terrifying moment of my life right there! Looking back at that night now, Tuscany and I cannot get over how hilarious our faces must've been. We finally made it back to Mondsee just in time for countdown, watching 2012 disappear together with the smoke from those fireworks that night. Note: Mother, if you're reading this, I was not raped and please don't let this story (which I haven't told you before....) change your opinions on me traveling alone :)
Austria was the first place I've traveled to without my family, and so I owe the place my courage to travel. I can honestly say that the amount of delicious, delicious cake I've consumed within those few days is equal to the amount of great memories I've had during this trip. I got to see both nature and its purest, and the city at its most vibrant. Austria taught me that you should always bring pepper spray, because there's lots of creepy evil people in the world. Austria taught me that good ham, bread and butter is all that you need in life to survive. That night, when we counted down to New Years, and celebrated the coming of a new year, I promised myself that I would make it my mission to travel as much as I can. Austria taught me that you should live each day like it was your last.






















Teehee super like (: please let's do this all over again this summer.... Kangen bgt.
ReplyDelete