Saturday, February 8, 2014

New York, USA

the city that never sleeps


I haven't seen the entire world yet- but I can guarantee that New York is and always will be the best city on this planet. Last spring break, I visited my best friend Glenys in the Big Apple with my other best friend Claudia who lives in San Fransisco. Although I've been to many places since, I don't think my heart ever left New York City. I don't think it ever will.

Maybe all the films and TV shows shot here have given me this bias, (I blame you Gossip Girl, I blame you the most) but this city is just the most glamorous, lively, cool, and colorful environment you'll ever find yourself in. After dropping our luggage in Glenys' all-white studio in Manhattan, we took a subway to the Rockefeller Center, which was made into an ice-rink at that time. Of course, the gravitational pull from the Godiva chocolate store was simply too great, so we had to stop for heavenly iced chocolate drinks before visiting the big Lego store. We walked up and down fifth avenue, not really doing anything but window shopping [I was specifically repeating "OMG this is where Blair and Serena goes to shop a million times]. We entered the 4B's: Barneys, Bergdorf's, Bloomies and Bendels, the heaven of shopaholics!


The night soon replaced the sun, and we find ourselves in the middle of the flashy, too-many-things-in-yo-face Times Square. I think this is really the place where tourists fall in love with New York, including me. It was almost midnight, and we were still shopping, going in and out of gigantic toystores, candy stores, and taking pictures here and there. You know those typical scenes where the female protagonist stands in the middle of the crowd, looks up to the well-lit sky filled with huge flashy posters and colorful LED screens, and the camera pans around her as her jaw drops in amazement? Yeah, that was me...and this went on for a good hour or two. 


The next day we went on full foodie mode and hunted for the best food in the city. We started off at Eataly, this charming Italian place near the flat iron building. Then we hurried off to Max Brenner (May the Lord bless that man forever and ever,) enjoying a long-overdue girlie chit-chat session accompanied with dark chocolate suckao. The sweet tooth marathon went on to Georgetown cupcakes, where we tried the famous red velvet cupcake. After meeting up with friends over the softest pork buns you can ever imagine, we walked to see the LOVE sculpture and took mandatory tourist pictures there. And yes, walking down a street full of tall buildings that you can't even see the night sky, with a Magnolia banana pudding cup in your hand, and your bestest friends right beside you, it was love indeed. 


My favourite spot in this city would have to be Central Park, where we spent our morning hunting for locations from famous movie scenes. I practically lost it when we found Stuart Little's lake. Central Park was just as magical as the movies have made it out to be. Cute guys running with their well-groomed dogs nearby, an old couple enjoying each other's company on a park bench, little kids running around with the widest smiles. It was perfect.


The next day Glenys took me and Claudia to the meatpacking district, as well as the highlands area. It was nice to see a more urban side of New York. We walked by rows and rows of brick apartments that really, really resembled Carrie's flat in Sex and The City, before concluding our trip in the legendary Shake Shack. And even before I write my Los Angeles post, I just have to say that Shake Shack beats In-N-Out, Hands. Down


New York is one of those places that you would never, ever forget. Not because of the glitz and glamour you see walking down Manhattan, or even the horrible time you'll have in the bathroom the morning after midnight feasts at Halal Guys (still worth it, tho). But because New York has its own aura, it's own character, it's own smell and taste and feeling, like it's a living breathing being that once you encounter, you'll forever remember. I love people-watching when traveling, and what I noticed was that although New Yorkers are the most diverse group of people you can ever come across, they all shared this unspoken love for this city and all of the hopes and dreams that come with it. New York isn't charming, it isn't quaint, or pretty, for that matter. New York is big, it is loud, it is brave


New York taught me that the power of good food should never, ever be underestimated. New York taught me that it's okay to dream big. New York taught me that best friends are the biggest blessing you'll ever have. New York taught me that in this supposedly overwhelming city with bright nights and big lights, you can find yourself. And that's the most beautiful thing about traveling, finding yourself in an unfamiliar place. 




1 comment: