Cote d'Azur in a day
Last year I was blessed with the chance
to explore the south of France and let me tell you this, it was
beautiful. I went on this trip during the month of March '13, and the
sunshine and warmth was simply amazing. I remember I almost cried when I
went back to London, because I was basically sunbathing in Nice and 2
hours later, I was in the snow. Again.
Amazingly
I only had one and a half days to explore Nice and Cannes and it was
such a quick whirlwind, I think I have to come back one day to explore
these cities thoroughly. However, I did get to see an exquisite glimpse
of France's beauty beyond Paris' Eiffel Tower.
The view in Nice was basically, very nice (I just had to). We drove up the hill to see a beautiful panoramic view of mountains and peninsulas that projected out into the still, blue sea underneath a hovering blanket of blue skies. From what I remember, we found this photo stop randomly while waiting for our driver to return from his bathroom break. This gorgeous palette of blue and green hues quickly impressed me. I did not get to snap pictures of the city, but I remember a lot of beach villas and people in roller blades- so hopefully you understand that Nice is the perfect vacay town.
We continued our drive up the Moyenne Corniche and reached a nearby
small town called Eze, entering the Fragonard Perfumerie. This museum
showcases the process of creating perfumes, starting from collecting the
scent of unique flowers up until final packaging. It was quite
interesting to see the process of capturing the fragrance of things you
would find in nature.
We then
explored Promenade des Anglais, otherwise known as The Walkway of the
English. This street is probably Nice's most busy area, and the most
tourist-packed too. It offers spectacular views of the
Mediterranean sea, and I was not the only one captivated by this beauty-
I learned that this place inspired great painters like Henri Matisse
amongst others. I love how the sea is completely calm, like
it's the perfect spot to just sit with a good book with plenty of space
to breathe and reflect. However, if you look back to the other side of
the promenade, you'll find a busy street full of hotels, cute cafes and
shops and you're back to the lively part of the city. It's just the best
of both worlds.
I personally like exploring the French Riviera more than Paris (more on that later!) because everywhere you look, there's a reminder to not stress about anything in life. The second day I had to take an hour-long bus from Cannes to Nice, where I then waited for 6 hours by myself for my plane back to gloomy London. I remember it was quite awkward because I didn't have anyone to talk to during the whole day. But I also remember how rejuvenating it was to unwind at a bench facing the sea.
I had a discussion with a good friend of mine a couple of nights ago amidst a traffic jam on the way home. We debated on what an 'ideal' trip would be, whether it's supposed to be relaxing and refreshing, or you should be so tired from non-stop exploring all the city has to offer. In the end, we agreed to disagree- because I realized there is a very clear difference between a holiday/vacation and traveling to explore. I guess Nice and Cannes falls better in the first category, although these cities are very small and I would almost say there's not much to see and do (compared to cities like Paris and Rome, for example), nevertheless this short trip was a very memorable one because it taught me to take a step back and be refreshed through reflecting on the great blessings God has given me thus far.


No comments:
Post a Comment